Taiwanese huagua pickles
花瓜Southern Fujian, Taiwan
Makes about 1 cup pickles:
- 3 small Persian cucumbers
- 4 tablespoons good soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white rice vinegar
- 1 piece slice dried licorice root or star anise
1. Rinse the cucumbers, pat dry, and trim off the ends. Slice the cucumbers into quarter-inch rounds. Place the rounds in a small saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients.
2. Bring everything to a boil for exactly one minute and then remove from the heat. Allow the cucumbers to cool to room temperature, and then pour the cucumbers and marinade into a clean, covered jar.
3. Cover the jar and chill the pickles overnight. Use within a week or two, and keep refrigerated.