- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup crispy fried shallots
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine (optional)
1. Place ground pork in a cold skillet and heat the skillet on low heat until fat starts to render. During this phase, introduce the white pepper and five spice powder, and break up the ground pork.
2. Once enough fat has rendered to coat the bottom of the pan, turn the burner up to high heat, add the shallots, and brown the pork, stirring occasionally.
3. When the pork is sufficiently browned, turn the heat down to medium and add the soy sauce, brown sugar, dark soy, and rice wine.
4. Let simmer for partially covered, stirring occasionally, for approximately 15 minutes, or until pork is fully cooked and tender and most of the braising liquid is absorbed.
5. Remove from heat, drain the excess fat, and serve.