- 1 pound boneless chicken leg/thighs (about 3-4 pieces), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small piece of ginger, cut into 5-6 thin slices
- 1 head of garlic, peeled into cloves
- 2 stalks of green onion, cut into long pieces
- 3-4 dried chili pepper (optional)
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup sesame oil for cooking (ideally toasted sesame oil, regular sesame oil will work too)
- a few drops of sesame oil on top for garnishing
- ¼ cup cooking wine
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (helps add a nice brown color to the chicken)
- 2 tablespoons worth of sugar (ideally Chinese rock sugar, cane sugar will work too, use 1.5 tbsp instead)
- Mix cooking wine, soy sauce, dark soy sauce and sugar well in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil over medium-low heat till shimmering, sauté the ginger slices for 2-3 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- Add the garlic cloves, cook a minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in the green onion and dried chili peppers, sauté until fragrant.
- Turn to medium heat and add the chicken to the pan. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Grab the seasoning mixture made in step one, give it a good stir and pour into the pan.
- Turn to high heat and stir the ingredients well to make sure the seasonings are evenly distributed.
- When the sauce starts to boil, turn to medium-low heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened, stir occasionally while cooking.
- Sprinkle the fresh basil leaves around the pan, simmer for another minute or two until soft.
- Transfer to a large plate and drizzle a few drops of toasted sesame oil on top and enjoy while hot!