Ingredients (serves 2)
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup finely diced shishito, Padrón, or Chinese green long pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled ripe fresh tomatoes or drained canned tomatoes
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Queso fresco for the top (optional)
- Avocado slices for garnish (optional but not)
- Minced fresh chives for garnish (optional)
- In a medium nonstick or cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over low heat until barely warm. Add paprika, oregano, onion, and peppers. Season with salt and a very generous amount of black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until deepened in color. Remove half of mixture and reserve.
- Return pan to heat and add beaten eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are just barely set. Immediately remove from heat and gently fold in reserved vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with chives, if using, and serve immediately.